How does the SDS work?
The SDS is based on John Holland’s theory, known as the RIASEC theory, that both people and work environments can be classified according to six basic types: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. It is designed to help individuals choose careers and fields of study that best match their self-reported skills and interests.
The SDS asks questions about the individual’s occupational daydreams, activities, competencies, interests, and other self-estimates. It only takes about 20 minutes to complete, and most people find it helpful and fun.
At the end of the test, customized SDS Report is generated. Depending on the respondent’s answers, he or she will receive a StudentSDS Report, a StandardSDS Report, or a VeteranSDS Report, all of which include:
- A personalized Summary Code, which is based on the results of the assessment.
- A description of each of the six RIASEC types.
- A personalized list of occupations and fields of study associated with your Summary Code, which can be further customized by you.
- An additional personalized list of occupations based on your daydream occupations.
- An overview of salary data associated with occupations that interest you.
- A list of additional careers organized by career cluster, which can be used for an even deeper self-directed search.
- Links to resources to assist you with educational and career planning.
Ready to get started? Take the online test now by clicking “Take the SDS” in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.