What is the SDS?
The next generation of John Holland’s Self-Directed Search® (SDS®) is a career assessment and exploration tool that matches your aspirations, activities, and talents to the career choices and educational opportunities that fit you best.
The SDS is part of Aspira360, a Web-based portal that will streamline and enhance the career search experience.
The RIASEC Hexagon - Consists of 6 parts - R for Realistic, I for Investigative, A for Artistic, S for Social, E for Enterprising, and C for Conventional
How does it work?
The SDS is based on a theory developed by John Holland, known as RIASEC theory, that both people and work environments can be classified according to six basic types: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. These personality types are known together as RIASEC.
The assessment asks questions about an individual’s aspirations, activities, competencies, interests, and other self-estimates. It takes only about 20 minutes to complete.
At the end of the online assessment, an interactive, customized report is generated. Depending on your answers, you will receive a StandardSDS report, a StudentSDS report, or a or VeteranSDS report.
Your online report includes:
- A personalized Summary Code, which is based on the results of the assessment.
- A description of each of the six RIASEC types.
- A personalized list of occupations and fields of study associated with the user’s Summary Code, which can be further customized.
- An additional personalized list of occupations based on the user’s daydream occupations.
- An overview of salary data associated with favorite occupations.
- A list of additional careers organized by career cluster, which can be used for an even deeper self-directed search.
- Links to resources to assist users with educational and career planning.